Governor O’Malley, Senator Begich Announce Launch of The NewDEAL to Recognize State and Local Pro-Growth Progressive Leaders
New Organization Unveils First Group of State & Local Elected Officials
Today, Governor Martin O’Malley of Maryland and U.S. Senator Mark Begich of Alaska announce the launch of the NewDEAL, a new national network committed to elevating pro-growth progressive state and local elected leaders and their innovative ideas from across the country.
Ten rising elected officials from across the country have been selected as the first group of NewDEAL leaders for their work championing ideas ranging from progressive tax reform to fostering small business growth and streamlining government spending.
“Too often in DC, pro-growth and progressive goals are seen as opposed to each other. But as former mayors, Governor O’Malley and I saw first hand how solutions that were both pro-growth and progressive could help to grow the economy in a way that expands opportunity for everyone. The NewDEAL is designed to highlight and foster these types of ideas and leaders,” said Senator Begich, Honorary Co-Chair of the NewDEAL.
“Senator Begich and I have joined the NewDEAL, because we believe that we need to look for fresh ideas not just from the top down in Washington DC, but also from the bottom up, where local leaders are developing and testing their ideas out on the ground,” said Governor O’Malley, Honorary Co-Chair of the NewDEAL.
The first ten leaders to be recognized by the NewDEAL hail from a diverse set of regions and hold a variety of local elected positions. Those ten are:
- Chad Campbell, House Minority Leader, Phoenix, AZ
- Jeff Danielson, Senate President Pro Tempore, Cedar Falls, IA
- Wendy Greuel, City Controller, Los Angeles, CA
- Tishaura Jones, Assistant House Minority Leader, St. Louis, MO
- Mark Keam, Delegate, Vienna, VA
- Fiona Ma, Assembly Speaker pro Tempore, San Francisco, CA
- Ross Miller, Secretary of State, Nevada
- Joe Morelle, Assemblyman, Rochester, NY
- John O’Grady, County Commissioner, Franklin County, OH
- Bryon Short, Representative, Wilmington, DE
The NewDEAL is committed to helping pro-growth progressive leaders share their innovative ideas on its interactive, multi-media website, www.NewDEALLeaders.org. Each quarter, a new group of leaders will be featured. The public is encouraged to sign up to nominate state and local elected leaders and stay connected as we highlight more of their pro-growth progressive ideas.